American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A political philosophy supporting the rights and power of the people in their struggle against the privileged elite.
- n. The movement organized around this philosophy.
- n. The philosophy of the Populist Party.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The political principles and policies of the Populists.
- n. philosophy A political doctrine or philosophy that proposes that the rights and powers of ordinary people are exploited by a privileged elite, and supports their struggle to overcome this.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (U. S. Politics) The political doctrines advocated by the People's party.
- n. the political doctrine that supports the rights and powers of the common people in their struggle with the privileged elite
“By doing so, Obama will hopefully redefine the term "populism" in the political conversation.”
“The term "populism" is the more common label for commercial elitism, while "elitism" is almost always reserved for critical elitism, so from here on in those are the terms I'll use.”
“Largely funded by a few large industries and individuals (such as the Koch brothers), the Tea Party's pseudo-populism is not the same as the Christian Right's.”
“Sen Maria Cantwell and asked her to differentiate her anti-Wall Street populism from the similar rhetoric we were hearing from the Tea Party.”
“Inward-looking austerity and Tea Party populism is not the answer, neither for the US nor for Europe.”
“The old economic models are broken, and a little entrepreneurial populism is exactly what is needed.”
“The old economic models are broken, and a little entrepreneurial populism is exactly what is needed right now: someone with fresh ideas regarding how to spur manufacturing, how to jump-start new industries and companies.”
“From Bryan to Teddy to Perot to Palin, populism is always serious stuff and is never emotional claptrap!”
“Literally, definitionally, populism is the systematic attempt to appeal to a mass audience, to be popular.”
“Sadly it was just blatant populism from the Green and showed exactly why he is a Green and not in a party capable of winning a parliamentary seat.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘populism’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
Words and collocations associated with political scandal
absolute majority, absolute monarchy, abstentionism, access to informa..., acquisition of arms, action brought be..., action for annulment, action to establi..., ad hoc committee, adjournment, adjournment motion, administration and 965 more...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
Looking for tweets for populism.