from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The advocacy, system, or theory of protecting domestic producers by impeding or limiting, as by tariffs or quotas, the importation of foreign goods and services.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A policy of protecting the domestic producers of a product by imposing tariffs, quotas or other barriers on imports.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The doctrine or policy of protectionists. See protection, 4.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The doctrine of the protectionists; the system of protection. See protection, 4.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the policy of imposing duties or quotas on imports in order to protect home industries from overseas competition
protection + -ism (Wiktionary)