American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A medicated liquid for external application.
- n. Any of various externally applied cosmetic liquids.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A washing; particularly, a washing of the skin.
- n. A fluid preparation, wash, or cosmetic applied to the skin, especially the skin of the face, for the purpose of rendering it smooth, soft, or fair.
- n. In pharmacy, a liquid holding in solution various medicinal substances, applied externally to stimulate action, to relieve pain, etc.
- n. Drink (humorously conceived as a ‘wash’ or ‘remedy’).
- n. A low- to medium-viscosity topical preparation intended for application to unbroken skin.
- n. archaic A washing, especially of the skin for the purpose of beautification.
- v. transitive To cover or treat with a lotion.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A washing, especially of the skin for the purpose of rendering it fair.
- n. A liquid preparation for bathing the skin, or an injured or diseased part, either for a medicinal purpose, or for improving its appearance.
- n. liquid preparation having a soothing or antiseptic or medicinal action when applied to the skin
- n. any of various cosmetic preparations that are applied to the skin
- From Latin lotio ("a washing"), from lavo ("to wash"); see lave. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English locion, from Old French lotion, from Latin lōtiō, lōtiōn-, a washing, from lōtus, past participle of lavere, to wash; see leu(ə)- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The lotion is clear, easily removable with water, and does not stain clothing.”
“Products containing DEET come in lotion, liquid, spray and stick forms.”
“The fact the lotion is unscented is a major plus as well.”
“Generic Lotion Answer: Making lotion is this super cool process that involves mixing oils and water together.”
“He made a lotion from the forskolin and applied it to specially bred mice that have red fur and skin normally incapable of tanning.”
“Gotta drown my hands in lotion before I go so the guy doesn't shake hands with a lizard.”
“In Kipling’s novel Kim, the boy-spy is taught to disguise himself with a skin lotion of walnut shell dye, to temporarily change races.”
“Mine are all lame form rejections going "not for me, good luck elsewhere!" which is starting to make me feel like a leper trying to sell skin lotion.”
“I also wanted to thank you and your readers for the information about making one's own skin lotion.”
“I've acquired three of them recently and find that the lotion is the perfect mix of moisturizing but not greasy for me.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘lotion’.
â€¢ The word should be a compound.
â€¢ Once divided, the individual definitions should not describe the compound itself.
â€¢ For sanity's sake, any word that also ha...
Words that make me feel cozy
Okay, I admit it. I made a list of words my daughter knew when she was two years old.
Words from a 2006 'A Scanner Darkly' film.
Words from 2009 'Extract' film.
Looking for tweets for lotion.