from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A medicinal lotion applied to the eye; eyewash.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A lotion or liquid wash used as a cleanser for the eyes; an eye-salve.
- n. Loosely, any product applied to or around the eyes; kohl.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An application to the eye, usually an eyewater.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Eye-wash, or a salve for the eyes.
- n. A preparation to blacken or color the eyelids and eyebrows.
- n. A preparation of medicine in a solid state, made up in a long cylindrical roll so as to be introduced into an opening of the body, as the anus, nostril, etc.; a suppository.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. lotion consisting of a solution used as a cleanser for the eyes
Latin collȳrium, from Greek kollūrion, eye salve, poultice, diminutive of kollūrā, roll of bread.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin collȳrium, from Ancient Greek κολλύριον ("poultice"). (Wiktionary)