from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A substance, such as a paste or powder, for cleaning the teeth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. toothpaste or any other substance, such as powder, for cleaning the teeth
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A powder or other substance to be used in cleaning the teeth; tooth powder.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A powder or other substance used in cleaning of the teeth. The term is now also applied to liquid preparations for the same purpose.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a substance for cleaning the teeth; applied with a toothbrush
French, from Old French, from Latin dentifricium : denti-, denti- + fricāre, to rub.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)