from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To arrange or organize according to class or category.
- transitive v. To designate (a document, for example) as confidential, secret, or top secret.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To identify by or divide into classes; to categorize
- v. To declare something a secret, especially a government secret
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To distribute into classes; to arrange according to a system; to arrange in sets according to some method founded on common properties or characters.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To arrange in a class or classes; arrange or group in sets, sorts, or ranks according to some method founded on common characteristics in the objects so arranged.
- Synonyms See class, transitive verb
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. declare unavailable, as for security reasons
- v. arrange or order by classes or categories
- v. assign to a class or kind
From French classifier. (Wiktionary)