from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To ascertain or fix the value or worth of.
- transitive v. To examine and judge carefully; appraise. See Synonyms at estimate.
- transitive v. Mathematics To calculate the numerical value of; express numerically.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to draw conclusions from examining; to assess
- v. to compute an expression
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To fix the value of; to rate; to appraise.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To determine or ascertain the value of; appraise carefully; specifically, in mathematics, to ascertain the numerical value of.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. evaluate or estimate the nature, quality, ability, extent, or significance of
- v. form a critical opinion of
Back-formation from evaluation, from French évaluation, from Old French, from evaluer, to evaluate : e-, out (from Latin ē-, ex-; see ex-) + value, value; see value.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From evaluation. (Wiktionary)