from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument consisting essentially of two curved hinged legs, used to measure thickness and distances. Often used in the plural.
- n. A large instrument having a fixed and a movable arm on a graduated stock, used for measuring the diameters of logs and similar objects.
- n. A vernier caliper.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Uncommon variant of calipers.
- n. The part of a disc brake that holds the brake pads.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument for measuring diameters; a caliber: commonly in the plural.
- To ascertain the diameter of (any cylindrical body) by means of calipers, or by a star-gage: as, to culiper a gun.
- n. In forestry, an instrument for measuring the diameter of trees or logs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an instrument for measuring the distance between two points (often used in the plural)
- v. measure the diameter of something with calipers
Alteration of caliber.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)