American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To keep in check; restrain.
- v. To refrain from giving, granting, or permitting. See Synonyms at keep.
- v. To deduct (withholding tax) from an employee's salary.
- v. To refrain or forbear.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To hold back; keep from action; restrain; cheek.
- To keep back; refrain from doing, giving, permitting, etc.: as, to withhold payment; to withhold assent to something.
- To keep; retain; hold; detain.
- To keep; maintain.
- To engage; retain.
- To refrain; stay back; hold one's self in check.
- v. transitive To keep (a physical object that one has obtained) to oneself rather than giving it back to its owner.
- v. transitive To keep (information, etc) to oneself rather than revealing it.
- v. transitive To retain; to keep back; not to grant; as, to withhold assent to a proposition.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To hold back; to restrain; to keep from action.
- v. To retain; to keep back; not to grant.
- v. obsolete To keep; to maintain; to retain.
- v. retain and refrain from disbursing; of payments
- v. hold back; refuse to hand over or share
- with- + hold (Wiktionary)
- Middle English witholden : with, away from; see with + holden, to hold; see hold1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“And as you've learned, if you withhold from a woman something she deeply desires, then she'll surely find a way to withhold something that you desire.”
“There is clear evidence at this point that the Conservative government has colluded with witnesses before the parliamentary committee looking at allegations of torture in Afghanistan, by furnishing them with crucial documents that it continues to withhold from the committee.”
“The company warned that until its unit is able to satisfy the FDA with its responses, the regulator may in the near term withhold approval of pending new drug applications listing the Cranbury facility as the manufacturer.”
“Let her pay off her campaign with the money the women's groups are threatening to withhold from the Obama campaign.”
“Similarly, in Carhart II, what seems to matter is the sanction the state wants to withhold from a medical procedure that appears just awful.”
“Unfortunately, this Administration's modus operandi is to withhold from the public any information at all, even at a very general level, about what the government is doing in the war on terror -- and to keep the vast majority of Congress in the dark, as well.”
“I must admit to finding it strange that a Minister of the Crown should withhold from the police the names of the killers of 21 innocents and the maiming of hundreds more, that he should be happy for the killers to escape justice - and that seemingly everyone else is happy with this.”
“The secret, whose purpose was to withhold from the Germans the knowledge that their codes had been broken and that Britain had early knowledge of German fleet movements, remained undisclosed until after the war.”
“If he considered it bad policy, and a crime which cannot escape Divine indignation, to withhold from a fellow-being his native rights, and we think him entitled to our praise for his consistent and conscientious adherence to that belief, we shall praise him most effectually by making it the basis of”
“You bid me, Madam, live: I have now, indeed, a motive for life, since I should not willingly quit the world, while I withhold from the needy and distressed any share of that charity which a disposition so noble would otherwise bestow upon them.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘withhold’.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Words that sound like sneezes
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words that were posted on our English Two blog.
The semester and the course are over now, so this list can be considered finalized.
Words from 2008 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' film.
Looking for tweets for withhold.