from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A portion of an employee's wages or salary withheld by the employer as partial payment of the employee's income tax. Also called withholding tax.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of withhold.
- n. The deduction of taxes from an employee's salary.
- n. The tax so deducted, and paid to local or national government.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. income tax withheld from employees' wages and paid directly to the government by the employer
- n. the act of holding back or keeping within your possession or control
- n. the act of deducting from an employee's salary
Sorry, no etymologies found.