from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A portion of an employee's wages or salary withheld by the employer as partial payment of the employee's income tax. Also called withholding tax.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of withhold.
- n. The deduction of taxes from an employee's salary.
- n. The tax so deducted, and paid to local or national government.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. income tax withheld from employees' wages and paid directly to the government by the employer
- n. the act of holding back or keeping within your possession or control
- n. the act of deducting from an employee's salary
Sorry, no etymologies found.
In two new reports, researchers from the Massachusetts General Hospital Institute for Health Policy examine a broader range of withholding behaviors among life scientists than previously reported and describe how data withholding is affecting researchers in several fields during their training years.
The prospect of a potentially long and drawn out debate on extending the tax cuts with a possible compromise on upper income individuals is something that I believe is not priced into markets nor is a possible rise in withholding rates early next year.
If Congress doesn't act and all the tax provisions expire as scheduled, employers would begin withholding at the higher tax rates immediately, leaving many taxpayers $100 or $200 a month poorer beginning in January.
If the land withheld is territory what purpose does Congress have in withholding the land from the state in which said land is situated?
While the Committee won't comment on why it donated to whom, it probably had very different reasons for withholding from the two women.
Judicial Watch is suing the Justice Department for refusing to comply with FOIA in withholding documents about the case.
Payroll withholding is for the purposes of paying income tax.
A withholding is like an emotional cancer that eats away at the very essence of the very thing we all desire - connection.
I do payroll for my business and the tax tables were changed so that less withholding is taken from checks almost a year ago.
If withholding is not enough, then when and how would these payments be made? —
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.