American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To perceive by the visual faculty; see: beheld a tiny figure in the distance.
- v. To perceive through use of the mental faculty; comprehend: "Behold the man of the future” ( Jerry Adler).
- v. To look upon; gaze at: We beheld a beautiful vista before us. See Synonyms at see1.
- v. Used in the imperative for the purpose of calling attention.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To hold by; keep; retain.
- To hold; keep; observe (a command).
- To hold in view; fix the eyes upon; look at; see with attention; observe with care.
- Synonyms Observe, Witness, etc. (see see); look upon, consider, eye, view, survey, contemplate, regard.
- To look; direct the eyes to an object; view; see: in a physical sense.
- To fix the attention upon an object; attend; direct or fix the mind: in this sense used chiefly in the imperative, being frequently little more than an exclamation calling attention, or expressive of wonder, admiration, and the like.
- To feel obliged or bound.
- In astrology, to cast (an aspect).
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To have in sight; to see clearly; to look at; to regard with the eyes.
- v. To direct the eyes to, or fix them upon, an object; to look; to see.
- v. see with attention
- From Middle English beholden, from Old English behealdan ("to hold, have, occupy, possess, guard, preserve, contain, belong, keep, observe, consider, behold, look at, gaze on, see, signify, avail, effect, take care, beware, be cautious, restrain, act, behave"), from Proto-Germanic *bihaldanan (“to hold with, keep”), equivalent to be- + hold. Cognate with Dutch behouden ("to keep, restrain, preserve"), German behalten ("to keep, restrain, remember"), Danish and Norwegian beholde ("to keep") and Swedish behålla ("to keep"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English biholden, from Old English behaldan : be-, be- + healdan, to hold; see hold1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Until we reach Melzarr," he had said with passion to the two gentlemen, -- "until I can stand before my Master and behold him embrace his son -- _behold_ him -- I implore that I may not lose sight of him night or day.”
“He accepts it and, lo and behold, is still an ID proponent.”
“For this purpose I will preserve my life: to execute this dear revenge, will I again behold the sun, and tread the green herbage of earth, which otherwise should vanish from my eyes for ever.”
“Shows that would not stand up to watching again – behold my sadness.”
“But, as we were going out from him we saw a ruinous hut behind his house and going in behold, we found the black standing there.”
“I saw signs of newly dug graves, and then I imagined to myself, "O God, he has been buried, and I shall never again behold him!”
“So I came near enough to the surface to view the dark alleys, the narrow streets, the dark, brick walls of houses huddled together, and I longed to fly from them and again behold the beautiful country; but I was compelled to linger in each city and visit hundreds of places of which I had heard but had never seen – every garret, cellar, workshop or workroom in which poor half-paid working women toiled.”
“Beautiful to behold is a fair young female in the soft slumber of health and innocence, but far more beautiful when startled to consciousness from her gentle rest, and bright colours chase one another across her cheeks and bosom.”
“I. Piere Savetier, behold, is from France just arriv'd,”
“I wish they may hatch it themselves! but it is one of that unlucky hue which has so often been addled; in short, behold another secret expedition.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘behold’.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
Christian word branding; common English word-associatives connected to Bible terminology or scripture.
I also have a general Bible-word list.
Words that build up, edify, educate, encourage, deepen understanding, increase knowledge, and make the world a richer, fuller, more colorful world.
Tubey or not tubey.
GRE , GMAT , TOEFL , IELTS , SAT 。。。
What Abt these ... :)
by Clive James
The book of my enemy has been remaindered
And I am pleased.
In vast quantities it has been remaindered
Like a van-load of counterfeit that has been sei...
All those words (or distinctive phrases) you only hear at a certain time of year...
Hey! This is my 100th list!
Looking for tweets for behold.