from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A brief, incomplete view or look.
- n. Archaic A brief flash of light.
- transitive v. To obtain a brief, incomplete view of.
- intransitive v. To look briefly; glance: glimpsed at the headlines.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A brief look, glance, or peek.
- v. To see or view briefly or incompletely.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sudden flash; transient luster.
- n. A short, hurried view; a transitory or fragmentary perception; a quick sight.
- n. A faint idea; an inkling.
- intransitive v. to appear by glimpses; to catch glimpses.
- transitive v. To catch a glimpse of; to see by glimpses; to have a short or hurried view of.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To glimmer; shine.
- To come into momentary view; appear transiently or as in a flash.
- To look momentarily or accidentally.
- To get a momentary view of; see transiently.
- To show or cause to be seen as by a glimpse. We conclude this survey with the mention of the psychology of the developing child, glimpsing as it does, in the budding capabilities of the infant, the microcosm of the race and an epitome of the struggle for civilization.
- n. A transient gleam; a momentary ray or flash of light.
- n. A transient or hurried view; a glance, as in passing; hence, a momentary or chance experience of anything; a faint perception.
- n. A faint trace or share; a slight tinge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. catch a glimpse of or see briefly
- n. a vague indication
- n. a quick look
- n. a brief or incomplete view
The words, '_There is not a glimpse of poetry in his Tragedies_,' should be, as written, '_There is not an extraneous glimpse_,' &c. "
Mon 11/30/09 5: 48 PM oooo … I would love to see Flight Time on DWTS … we already got a glimpse from the challenge …. and we want more!!!
Great to hear about the continuing adventures (whether forward in a timeline, or a glimpse from the past) of Pendergast!
Very scarey … … and this brief glimpse is totally very much like the orginal.
A quick glimpse from the exciting jungle chase scene in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
I was just taking a glimpse from a small corner of the window.
Each glimpse is through the eyes of an eleven-year-old native of the far future, separated by hundreds of millions of years.
Never mind the fact that the Diamond numbers are just one segment of the total comics market these days, and they present a very short term glimpse at that.
This photo is a glimpse from a fascinating aerial photography generated view of Venice found here, at the Geostat (Geospatial and Statistical Data) Center at the Fisher Library at the University of Virginia.
His glimpse is not unlike her uncorseted presence, a slight escape from being possessed.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.