from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Nobility or aristocracy.
- n. The rank, position, or term of office of a patrician.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The rank of a patrician
- n. The aristocracy or nobility
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The patrician class; the aristocracy; also, the office of patriarch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The dignity or position of a patrician, in any sense of that word.
- n. Patricians collectively; the patrician order; the aristocracy.
- n. The period during which the holder enjoyed the dignity of patrician.
Latin patriciātus, from patricius, patrician; see patrician.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)