American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The chief administrative subdivision of a department in France.
- n. A municipal subdivision in some large French cities.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In France, the largest administrative division of a department. The 87 departments are divided into 362 arrondissements. Each arrondissement is divided into cantons, and each of the latter into communes.
- n. An administrative division in some French- or Dutch-speaking countries
- n. Canada A borough, a submunicipal administrative division
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. France A subdivision of a department.
- Borrowing from French arrondissement. (Wiktionary)
- French, from Old French, rounded projection on a wall, from arrondir, arrondiss-, to round out : a, to (from Latin ad-; see ad-) + rondir, to make round (from rond, round; see round1). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Located on the left bank, Paris '5th arrondissement is known among locals as a foodie haven.”
“With its canteen-like space of fewer than 10 tables, the restaurant is located in an alley in the second arrondissement, which is often contradictorily described by foodies either as "a no-man's land" or the "next Marais.”
“People from Guadeloupe, as well as Martinique and French Guyana, defiantly feel that they are second-class citizens, living in a colony rather than an "arrondissement" of Paris.”
“arrondissement," the word runner-up Ashwanth Samuel misspelled.”
“Earlier, as we motored through the 8th arrondissement, past the Bagatelle (where Jean-Marc and I were first married, but that is another story ...)”
“I got a six-month residency grant in the Keesing Studio in the Cite Internationale des Arts in Paris, in the 4th arrondissement (basically the Marais, right close to the Seine).”
“It's easy to imagine him, in the not-too-distant future, at home in a Berlin-size apartment in a Parisian arrondissement.”
“The birth will come as a relief to long-suffering residents around La Muette in the upmarket 16th arrondissement of Paris.”
“The child, a girl, had been expected for a fortnight, and was born at the La Muette private clinic in the chic 16th arrondissement of Paris.”
“The celebrated Bataclan nightclub in the edgy 11th arrondissement of Paris was stiflingly hot and, even by its own standards, it was heaving.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘arrondissement’.
A selected sampling of words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Some good words (chiefly French of origin, and often to do with the medical profession) encountered reading the Aveling translation -- mostly new to me, but a few words that are just worthy of bein...
The words from the 2012 Scripps National Spelling Bee championship round.
Words gathered during my recent "current affairs" reading bender.
It's not an addiction, I can quit any time I want.
Looking for tweets for arrondissement.