from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The chief administrative subdivision of a department in France.
- n. A municipal subdivision in some large French cities.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An administrative division in some French- or Dutch-speaking countries
- n. A borough, a submunicipal administrative division
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A subdivision of a department.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In France, the largest administrative division of a department.
French, from Old French, rounded projection on a wall, from arrondir, arrondiss-, to round out : a, to (from Latin ad-; see ad-) + rondir, to make round (from rond, round; see round1).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French arrondissement. (Wiktionary)