from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A chartered town or borough in Scotland.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a small mound, often used in reference to tumuli (mostly restricted to place names).
- n. a borough or chartered town (now only used as an official subdivision in Scotland).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A borough or incorporated town, especially, one in Scotland. See borough.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A corporate town or borough; more especially, the Scotch term corresponding to the English borough, applied to several different kinds of corporations, and to towns and cities in Scotland.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a borough in Scotland
Scots, variant of borough.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Proto-Germanic *burgz (“stronghold, city”). Cognate with Dutch burg, German Burg, Swedish borg, French bourg, Persian بور (bur). (Wiktionary)