from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A chartered town or borough in Scotland.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a small mound, often used in reference to tumuli (mostly restricted to place names).
- n. a borough or chartered town (now only used as an official subdivision in Scotland).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A borough or incorporated town, especially, one in Scotland. See borough.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A corporate town or borough; more especially, the Scotch term corresponding to the English borough, applied to several different kinds of corporations, and to towns and cities in Scotland.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a borough in Scotland
You will learn that the suffix 'burgh' is pronounced 'burra' e.g. Edinburgh.
You will learn that the suffix burgh is pronounced burra (e.g. Edinburgh).
You will learn that the suffix ‘burgh is pronounced ‘burra’ e.g. Edinburgh.
One of the more unflattering features of our burgh are the acres and acres of new and used car lots that now occupy land that contained spectacular desert landscapes.
Hollande we reached Aachen, as the fond natives call the burgh so dear to Charlemagne.
The burgh was a great place for suppers too, and never _ceilidh_ nor supper went I to but the daughter of Provost Brown was there before me.
From thence I propose to move to the neck of Williams - burgh, which is represented as healthy, and where some subsist - ence may be procured; and keep myself unengaged from opera - tions which might interfere with your plan for the campaign, until 1 have the satisfaction of hearing from you.
The doftor accompanied us to Kings - burgh, which is called a mile farther; but the eomputation of Sky has no connexion what - ever with the real diftance.
As a former 'burgh' girl, my favorite is the North Side Steeler shirt cupcake.
You will learn that the suffix 'burgh' is pronounced 'burra'; you may elect to respell Pittsburgh as 'Pittsberg' if you find you simply can't cope with correct pronunciation.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.