American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A very large city.
- n. A region made up of several large cities and their surrounding areas in sufficient proximity to be considered a single urban complex.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A chief city; a metropolis.
- n. A large conurbation, where two or more large cities have sprawled outward to meet, forming something larger than a metropolis; a megacity.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. rare A chief city; a metropolis.
- n. a very large urban complex (usually involving several cities and towns)
- From megalo- (“great”) + -polis (“city”). (Wiktionary)
- megalo- + Greek polis, city; see pelə-3 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“So the uber-immigrant wants to make sure his megalopolis is a desirable destination point for the digital natives?”
“Do you remember years ago there was a thing called megalopolis?”
“I was flipping through Wikipedia and came across the article on megacities (which they use as synonymous with "megalopolis", not "amalgamated city" like Torontonians do) and was struck by one statistic:”
“LAMB: Living in this kind of megalopolis that we do here on the East Coast.”
“We may observe in passing that similar tendencies are at work even in some of the richest countries, where they manifest as a trend toward excessive urbanization, toward "megalopolis", and leave, in the midst of affluence, large pockets of poverty-stricken people, "drop-outs," unemployed and unemployables.”
“The creators of the Judge Dredd comic strip acknowledge Calhoun's influence in the depiction of their lawless "megalopolis", Mega City One.”
“It slices through nightmare traffic in a megalopolis that includes Boston, New Haven, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, where one city's suburbs sprawl into another's.”
“The Boston-Washington corridor will turn into only large megalopolis in the fairly near future.”
“México City is a huge megalopolis, but you will never find the equivalent of a Superlake there.”
“Before we moved here permanently, I spent a lot of time in the megalopolis of México City, we never tipped cab drivers there.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘megalopolis’.
abnormally large or great
Fonts whose names are wacky, powerful, intriguing, whimsical, exotic and so on.
As to feature the creature "mog".
need to know these words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Large-scale humanity. From small settlements, to nations, to regions within a larger region.
Looking for tweets for megalopolis.