from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The body of voters or the residents of a district represented by an elected legislator or official.
- n. The district so represented.
- n. A group of supporters or patrons.
- n. A group served by an organization or institution; a clientele: The magazine changed its format to appeal to a broader constituency.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A district represented by one or more elected officials.
- n. The voters within such a district.
- n. An interest group or fan base.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A body of constituents, as the body of citizens or voters in a representative district.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A body of constituents or principals, especially a body of persons voting for an elective officer, particularly for a municipal, officer or a member of a legislative body; in a more general sense, the whole body of residents of the district or locality represented by such an officer or legislator.
- n. Hence Any body of persons who may be conceived to have a common representative; those to whom one is in any way accountable; clientele: as, the constituency of a newspaper (that is, its readers); the constituency of a hotel (its guests or customers).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the body of voters who elect a representative for their area
Sorry, no etymologies found.