from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A qualified voter in an election.
- n. A member of the Electoral College of the United States.
- n. One of the German princes of the Holy Roman Empire entitled to elect the emperor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person eligible to vote in an election.
- n. An official serving in an electoral college or similar assembly.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who elects, or has the right of choice; a person who is entitled to take part in an election, or to give his vote in favor of a candidate for office.
- n. Hence, specifically, in any country, a person legally qualified to vote.
- n. In the old German empire, one of the princes entitled to choose the emperor.
- n. One of the persons chosen, by vote of the people in the United States, to elect the President and Vice President.
- adj. Pertaining to an election or to electors.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who elects or has the right of choice; a person who has the legal right of voting for any functionary or the adoption of any measure; a voter.
- n. Specifically— In the Roman-German empire, one of the seven or more princes who had the right to elect the emperor. As established by the Golden Bull of 1356, these were the spiritual electors of Mayence, Treves, and Cologne, and the temporal electors of the Rhine Palatinate, Saxony, Brandenburg, and Bohemia. Other German princes, as the rulers of Bavaria, Hanover, etc., also had voices in the college of electoral princes for longer or shorter periods. The original electors held also the great magisterial offices of the imperial court. The whole system passed away with the empire in 1806. The temporal princes holding the right were generally known by the title of elector in their several dominions.
- n. In the United States, one of the presidential electors. See below.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a citizen who has a legal right to vote
- n. any of the German princes who were entitled to vote in the election of new emperor of the Holy Roman Empire
Sorry, no etymologies found.