from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or quality of being legal; lawfulness.
- n. Adherence to or observance of the law.
- n. A requirement enjoined by law. Often used in the plural.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Lawfulness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being legal; conformity to law.
- n. A conformity to, and resting upon, the letter of the law.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being legal; lawfulness; conformity to law.
- n. In theology, a reliance on works for salvation; insistence on the mere letter of the law without regard to its spirit: personified in the quotation.
- n. A gambling game.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. lawfulness by virtue of conformity to a legal statute
Sorry, no etymologies found.