from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Malta or its people, language, or culture.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Malta.
- n. The Semitic language of the people of Malta.
- n. Any of a breed of toy dogs having a long silky white coat.
- n. A Maltese cat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The inhabitants of Malta.
- n. An inhabitant or a resident of Malta.
- proper n. The Semitic language of Malta.
- adj. Of or pertaining to Malta or its language.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Malta or to its inhabitants.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to Malta, an island in the Mediterranean, formerly belonging to the Knights Hospitalers or Knights of Malta (1530–1798), afterward to France, and since 1800 to Great Britain, or to the group of islands of which it is the chief.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of the island of Malta.
- n. The language spoken by the natives of Malta. Its chief element is a corrupt form of Arabic mixed with Italian.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a term applied indiscriminately in the United States to any short-haired bluish-grey cat
- n. breed of toy dogs having a long straight silky white coat
- adj. of or relating to the island or republic of Malta or its inhabitants
- n. a native or inhabitant of Malta
- n. the national language of the Republic of Malta; a Semitic language derived from Arabic but with many loan words from Italian, Spanish, and Norman-French
Malta + -ese (Wiktionary)