from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man's long double-breasted topcoat with full skirt.
- n. A woman's full-length unlined coat or dress open down the front to show a dress or underdress.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A long plain double-breasted outside coat for women.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A double-breasted outside coat with long plain skirts not cut away at the front.
- n. A similar garment for women, worn either as a wrap or as part of the house dress, frequently cut away at the front.
French, alteration of English riding coat.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French redingote, itself from English riding-coat. (Wiktionary)