American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To conciliate (an offended power); appease: propitiate the gods with a sacrifice.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To appease and render favorable; make propitious; conciliate.
- To make propitiation or atonement.
- v. transitive, dated To conciliate, appease or make peace with someone, particularly a god or spirit.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To appease to render favorable; to make propitious; to conciliate.
- v. To make propitiation; to atone.
- v. make peace with
- Latin prōpitiāre ("make favourable"), from prōpitius ("favourable, gracious"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin propitiāre, propitiāt-, from propitius, propitious; see propitious. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I don't know what 'propitiate' means," I said, sighing.”
“Him Von Schmidt desired to please and propitiate because from him could be obtained the”
“Bond markets, those invisible deities that debt reduction is designed to propitiate, could never be confident that debt triggers will actually reduce government debt.”
“Details of the ritual are sketchy, but it is believed that Brown intends to cast some of his followers out of the cult, and to elevate preferred acolytes, in an attempt to propitiate their god, Gallup-Mori.”
“However, to propitiate the Hungry Folk, he made one of them leader of the ship expedition.”
“Why don't the Na'vi feel the natural need to propitiate their gods -- on whose whims their lives constantly depend -- so nature doesn't get out of control?”
“So he tried to propitiate Job in all manner of ways.”
“Thus, Clay sought—as the Union instantly recognized—“to propitiate the abolitionists of the north and some of the Proviso men of New York.””
“Therefore, it is totally inappropriate for the great monasteries of the Gelug tradition, the Upper and Lower Tantric Monasteries and all other affiliated monasteries which are national institutions ever to propitiate Dolgyal.”
“Some of you feel that your business and ability to earn a living do better if you propitiate”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘propitiate’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
letters starting with p
words i need to memorize
Looking for tweets for propitiate.