from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sound change resulting in a sibilant consonant, commonly the final phase of palatalization.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Change of a non-sibilant letter to a sibilant, as of -tion to -shun, duke to ditch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of making sibilant; specifically, in philology, the change of a dental or guttural (or a labial) mute into a sibilant (s, z, sh, zh, ch = tsh, j = dzh), or into a sound approaching that of a sibilant, as for instance a palatal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. pronunciation with a sibilant (hissing or whistling) sound
- n. the development of a consonant phoneme into a sibilant
Sorry, no etymologies found.