American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Slang Spirited vigor: "There is not much oomph in the economy, but there is nothing seriously pushing it down” ( Murray L. Weidenbaum).
- n. Slang Physical or sexual attractiveness.
- n. informal, uncountable Strength, power, passion or effectiveness; clout.
- n. informal, uncountable Sex appeal.
- n. countable A bassy grunting or thudding sound.
- n. the activeness of an energetic personality
- n. attractiveness to the opposite sex
- Expressive of exertion. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“This rustic white bean soup is stockless and gets its goodness and oomph from the beans 'own cooking liquid.”
“But it could gain oomph through its deal with Microsoft and Dell, which took shape last fall.”
“Adding a near term oomph to a degrading balance sheet?”
“Microsoft's presscon just wasn't as "oomph" - ish as it should have been.”
“Looking into the hopefully not too distant future, the Intel iBooks’ selling point is going to be the most reliable OS and UI with the most popular desktop, Windows (plus a little bit extra oomph from the CPU).”
“What I missed was what I can only describe as the oomph I had expected, the spectacular quality of the sheer mass of them, the "serried ranks" I mentioned above.”
“I supposed if you were a big fan of the movie Stargate it would be really neat to see the further adventures of O'Neill and company (sadly lacking any French Stewart, or is that happily?) but to me there wasn't really any 'oomph' to these episodes.”
“It does need a bit more "oomph" though - I added a touch of garlic powder, Tabasco and a little bit of honey to pump up the flavour, which worked nicely.”
“The scores to T and T2 have easily become my most listened to soundtracks these days, and can very well inspire "oomph" in whatever I'll be doing at the time.”
“Good luck with the letter writing Sarah and I hope you get your 'oomph' back.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘oomph’.
Words to quiz the intermediate and advanced speller alike
Goatboy's Word Emporium
with potential for the labiodental nasal
A collection of interjections and verbal ejaculations.
My big word list.
Just what it sounds like. My favorites. Five letters.
favorite words. some are made up injokes between me and my husband or family.
Looking for tweets for oomph.