from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal A percentage or share of the profits of an enterprise, especially one given or accepted as a bribe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A percentage of an amount of money taken by a third-party as a bribe or as part of an unlawful enterprise.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In gambling games, the amount or percentage taken by the house or the banker.
- n. An amount or percentage of money taken by a party to a contract or enterprise as his share of the spoils; specifically, a share of money illegally taken in a public enterprise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a percentage (of winnings or loot or profit) taken by an operator or gangster
From the rake used by a croupier in a gambling house.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)