from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A brief high-pitched humming or buzzing sound, such as that made by a swiftly passing object or a taut vibrating string.
- intransitive v. To make a zing.
- intransitive v. To move swiftly with or as if with a zing: an arrow zinging toward its target.
- intransitive v. Informal To be vivacious or lively: a conversation zinging along.
- transitive v. Informal To attack verbally; criticize sharply: zing an opponent in a debate.
- transitive v. Informal To strike suddenly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A short high-pitched humming sound, eg that made by a bullet or vibrating string.
- n. Zest or vitality.
- v. To move very quickly, especially while making a high-pitched hum.
- interj. A high pitched humming sound.
- interj. Used to acknowledge a witty comeback, a zinger.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the activeness of an energetic personality
- n. a brief high-pitched buzzing or humming sound
"It was one of the first times this year that this group had what I call the zing factor,"
Saron -- I think "zing" is a good way of putting it.
I used to think it was all just boring, but it [zing] is everywhere.
But the underlying zing from the mumbling, GOP-backing sergeant is that aforementioned fear-and jealousy based dissing that Tiger Woods is the constant recipient of.
Justified has a lot going for it, namely the zing of Elmore Leonard's original creation and the sturdy presence of Timothy Olyphant.
The widgetlike device can be downloaded and lets people send, or "zing," messages.
This isn't Wonkette, don't use "zing" in your headlines.
I thought they all had a special 'zing' that made them great.
The cupcake is very moist and the Almond Buttercream has just enough "zing" to make you think of creamy Pavlovas.
However, as I mentioned earlier, people like their ministers, lawyers, and politicians to have a little "zing" when publicly speaking.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.