American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A thong or whip of hide or leather.
- n. A lashing blow, as of a whip.
- n. The sound of such a blow.
- n. Vulgar Slang The penis.
- v. To beat or whip with a thong.
- v. To beat with a sharp blow or blows.
- v. To strike so as to produce a loud, reverberant noise.
- v. To produce a loud, reverberant noise.
- n. A loud, reverberant noise.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A thong, especially a leathern thong.
- n. A tough leather, such as is used for thongs, belt-lacing, etc. It is usually made of calf's hide, but sometimes of eelskin or the hide of a dog, woodchuck, racoon, etc.
- To beat or bang; thwack; whack; flog; also, to throw with violence.
- To cut in large slices or strips; slice.
- To make or give out a banging noise.
- n. A blow or thwack; a whack; a beating or banging; a bang
- n. A cut; a piece; a slice; a chunk.
- n. Formerly, in Maine and some other parts of New England, a house-cleaning party; a gathering of neighbors to aid one of their number in cleaning house.
- v. To make a noise such as something moving quickly through the air.
- v. informal, transitive To throw with a rapid slamming motion.
- v. US, slang To whack or beat.
- n. slang A penis.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Prov. Eng. & Colloq. U. S. A leather thong.
- v. Scot. & Dial. Eng. To beat; thrash; bang; also, to throw, hurl, or fling about, violently.
- v. Scot. To slice, esp. in large pieces; to chop.
- n. Dial. or Colloq. A blow; whack.
- n. Scot. & Dial. Eng. A large piece or slice; chunk.
- n. Local, U. S. Formerly, a house-cleaning party.
- v. attack forcefully
- v. propel or hit with force
- v. beat with force
- n. the act of hitting vigorously
- Debuccalized (/θw/ > /hw/) from Scots thwang, cognate to thong. (Wiktionary)
- Dialectal variant of Middle English thong, thwang, thong; see thong.Imitative. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Even those evil days of New England households, the annual house-cleaning, were robbed of some of their dismal terrors by what was known as a "whang," a gathering of a few friendly women neighbors to assist one another in that dire time, and thus speed and shorten the hours of misery.”
“All of a sudden, on a murky night, a light would hop up, right under our bows, almost, and an agonized voice, with the backwoods 'whang' to it, would wail out --”
“I heard a shell whang dead center into his helmet and ricochet inside.”
“In the old days, when Clete and I walked a beat on Canal and in the Quarter, a cop in trouble or chasing a perp would whang his baton on the pavement or a curb as a distress signal to other cops.”
“OTAY so i sweeps the oooshy grey goop into a pan wipe the dirt of wiff my sleeve plop the mess inta the cavernous gaping skull crater whang the parts ob skull into place”
“A good source to buy some organic astralagus/whang-ki: Mountain Rose Herbs.”
“Country blues performers can whang away on one chord for hours, working themselves and an audience into a lather.”
“I'm not sure I mentioned this previously, but that whang-whang-whang downtown is a common, if obnoxious, part of construction around here.”
“Will attempt to avoid both Shopping Mania and Construction Chaos in both cases -- difficult, as that whang...whang...whang of the pile-driver is just across a parking lot or two from my afternoon meeting, while some of the morning shopping is on the far side of a missing bridge...”
“So let use off be octo while oil bike the bil and wheel whang till wabblin befoul you but mere and mire trullopes will knaver mate a game on the bibby bobby burns of. —”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘whang’.
synonyms and euphemisms and metaphors and allusions
Includes any intangible conceivable independently of Hom. Sap.
A list of the OED citations from an author is often a highly accurate distillation of that author's work. All Vonnegut's favourite themes are here: technology (industrial, space, radio, tube), zani...
Words gathered while reading The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut.
anthroparian words I'm still wondering about
Looking for tweets for whang.