from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The study of the structure of metals and alloys, especially by optical and electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The study of the structure of metals and their alloys, by any of a variety of techniques
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science or art of metals and metal working; also, a treatise on metals.
- n. A method of transferring impressions of the grain of wood to metallic surfaces by chemical action.
- n. A substitute for lithography, in which metallic plates are used instead of stone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An account of metals, or a treatise on metallic substances; the science of metals.
- n. A process of decorating metals.
- n. A method of engraving, allied to lithography, in which metallic plates are substituted for stones.
metal + -ography (Wiktionary)