from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The song or cry of a bird.
- n. An imitation of the song or cry of a bird.
- n. A small device for producing this sound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The characteristic cry of a bird
- n. An imitation of this cry
- n. A device used to imitate this cry
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sound made in imitation of the note or cry of a bird for the purpose of decoying the bird or its mate.
- n. An instrument of any kind, as a whistle, used in making the sound of a birdcall.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument for imitating the cry of birds in order to attract or decoy them.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a device for imitating a birdcall
- n. the characteristic sound produced by a bird
bird + call (Wiktionary)