American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A bugle call or drum signal sounded at night, as at a military camp, as an order to put out lights and also sounded at military funerals and memorial services.
- n. A particular song played at the end of the day, and at military funerals.
- n. Plural form of tap.
- v. Third-person singular simple present indicative form of tap.
- n. (military) signal to turn the lights out
- Perhaps alteration of taptoo, tattoo, variant of tattoo1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“THE WRESTLER once again taps into those themes of addiction and obsession that Aronofsky excels in conveying, but in a far more pure and raw fashion than any of his previous films.”
“Also water sent through the taps is often 'produced' locally.”
“McCain taps lobbyist for transition (see also clammyc, Kos, McLobbyist transition team head was ultimate Nixon insider)”
“If McCain taps Romney to be VP, he will definitely put Michigan in play.”
“In addition, 90 percent of cities have polluted groundwater and in Beijing, the water coming from taps is undrinkable.”
“The motivation for the wire taps is to protect the Constitution not tear it â€œasunderâ€.”
“Carmel Valley label taps a site to the south, in Arroyo Seco, planted to a mix of the musqué clone and some Semillon, which makes up 5 percent of this bottle.”
“In front of the guard tent a drummer sounded "taps" -- three strokes on the drum.”
“It is a typical Catalan affair: a lobster and rice stew, cuttlefish black in their own ink, grilled prawns, bread rubbed with tomato and drizzled with oil, and, to finish, a Cadaqués speciality, "taps" - sweet, very light plain sponge cakes bought from a patisserie around the headland that morning.”
“* chodin taps his forehead, heart, left and right – gets up and leaves the church*”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘taps’.
Unabashedly stolen from a comment made by courier12.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Names of military trumpet and bugle calls from around the world.
I attempt to list them using spellings in the particular language of the country if possible. Thus, there will be names...
Looking for tweets for taps.