from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Pitt 1, William. First Earl of Chatham. Known as "Pitt the Elder.” 1708-1778. British political leader and orator who directed his country's military effort during the Seven Years' War (1756-1763).
- Pitt 2, William. Second Earl of Chatham. Known as "Pitt the Younger.” 1759-1806. British prime minister (1783-1801 and 1804-1806). He accomplished the Act of Union between Ireland and Britain (1800) but was unsuccessful in his efforts to achieve Catholic emancipation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An English topographical surname for someone who lived by, or operated a pit or mine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a British playwright who created the fictional character Sweeney Todd (1799-1855)
- n. English statesman who brought the Seven Years' War to an end (1708-1778)
- n. English statesman and son of Pitt the Elder (1759-1806)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Pitt Papers, 101; George III. to Pitt, Nov. 19, in Stanhope's _Life of Pitt_, ii.,
If Pitt beats UConn (@Pitt) in the last game of the regular season, and Louisville wins out (Seton Hall and West Virginia), then Louisville wins the Big East regular season crown, and I think they jump UConn in the rankings and might take down that last #1 seed.
By an awkward woman. nummiesbras @unmarketing brad pitt jakenherman RT @jessicabreezy "Well if brad Pitt was my husband,
Yesterday, it discovered the most precious of the stolen effects; that is the diamond known under the name Pitt or Régent”—there were gasps—“which in the last inventory of 1791 was appraised at 12 millions….
The biggest knock on Pitt is their performance in previous tournaments.
Celebrities (Arnie, Sarah and this lady) are not celebrities, but Brat Pitt is ... huh?
Brat Pitt is an unacceptable celebrity because he's a democrat, but not running for election, and she is acceptable ... because she's republican .... nice.
PROS: Joe Pitt is (still) a great character; unpredictable plot twists; fast paced and engaging story; Huston is not afraid to change up his cast of characters.
For those who are not aware of the series, Joe Pitt is a rogue vampire in a modern day New York City full of secret vampire clans that are at odds with each other.
The legendary Martin Pitt then wrote a script to take this range of blueprints and actions and generate a burndown chart.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.