American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A meal typically eaten late in the morning as a combination of a late breakfast and an early lunch.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Oxford University slang, a meal which takes the place of breakfast and lunch.
- n. A meal eaten later in the day than breakfast and earlier than lunch, replacing both meals, and often consisting of some foods that would normally be eaten at breakfast and some foods that would normally be eaten at lunch.
- v. To eat brunch.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a late breakfast or an early lunch.
- v. eat a meal in the late morning
- n. combination breakfast and lunch; usually served in late morning
- Blend of breakfast and lunch (Wiktionary)
- br(eakfast) + (l)unch. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“She followed that with BBC1's excellent, harrowing drama about the Ipswich murders, Five Women, and even in Misfits, despite the zingy humour look out for Socha chewing on the word "brunch" in this season's opener, there's a sadness to her character.”
“But that's not why this brunch is a noteworthy event.”
“The brunch is very nice and there is a nanny to take care of the children.”
“(Do take note that "attend unschooling brunch" is on my goal list!)”
“This fabulous brunch is only available for two days!”
“Raid the cupboards and the fridge; eat all the crisps that I call brunch;”
“Note: It appears that brunch is quite the standard for weekend socialising, so San Franciscans!?”
“To find out at which restaurant the brunch is being held on a given Sunday, email or call Charlie Montemayor at email@example.com or (within Gto) 732-7272. gsgall”
“And your last one is a word like brunch, which is a blending of breakfast and lunch.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘brunch’.
Buzzwords of our time
Words formed by joining two others and combining their meanings.
Words we have to use all the time, but that doesn't mean they sound good. In fact, they kind of suck. See also this list.
Words that have something to do with the holidays that fall on or near the Winter Solstice
WWWWWWEEEEEEEEE love words
List of portmanteaus, fact and fiction. These make me laugh.
Words created by combining 2 (or sometimes more)
new words that I must rmember
Looking for tweets for brunch.