American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A faint, shrill sound like that of a young bird; a chirp.
- v. To make a faint, shrill sound or sounds; chirp.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To peep, as a chick; chirp; squeak; creak; make a sound resembling “cheep.”
- To utter in a chirping or peeping tone; pipe; chirp.
- n. A squeak, as of a mouse; a chirp; hence, a creak.
- v. Of a small bird, to make short, high-pitched sounds sounding like "cheep".
- n. A short, high-pitched sound made by a small bird.
- interj. The short, high-pitched sound made by a small bird.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To chirp, as a young bird.
- v. To give expression to in a chirping tone.
- n. A chirp, peep, or squeak, as of a young bird or mouse.
- n. the short weak cry of a young bird
- v. make high-pitched sounds
- Onomatopoeic. (Wiktionary)
- Imitative. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Cheep cheep cheep is the salutation of the newcomer, the emigrant, the casual at the gates of the new world.”
“However, he reached the point as which he aimed, but he had not been there a minute before he heard that peculiar sound of heavy blocks working, _cheep, cheep, cheep_.”
“Yes | No | Report from radam wrote 13 weeks 6 days ago good way to keep it cheep is to make your own. every year when i go pheasant hunting i collect a few feathers and use them for flys in the up comming year”
“Maybe just put the pill in cheep cider - better targeting of the population in question. on August 3, 2006 at 7: 58 pm | Reply Daisy”
“Can anyone explain to me why you used the word cheep?”
“The term "Piyo" means to cheep, which is sure to be what you'll hear inside your head once you see this adorable calendar.”
“The A group contractor labor bill is much higher and the work goes faster but we chose the "cheep" route as my husband was on site full time to supervise and we have the philosophy, more time than money.”
“That's a nice "cheep" Halloween getting to reuse all the costumes, I wish we didn't have to buy any, but Andrew has just grown to much.”
“Those slender birds with narrow wings, with the white patches on the wings, that soar around in the evening, making nasal "cheep" sounds?”
“They put in a kind of cheep developer foliage that is not really well suited for the area and so, dries out, turns to brush, fuels the fire.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cheep’.
words (seemingly) formed in imitation of a natural sound
words that describe sound
words for quiet sounds
( randomness, descriptive )
If I've seen it, heard it, or marvelled at it, I'll stick it here.
limited to non-onomatopoeic words
Words that imitate sounds.
Looking for tweets for cheep.