American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A country of southeast Asia comprising Singapore Island and adjacent smaller islands. A trading center as early as the 14th century, Singapore was later part of Johor, a region of the southern Malay Peninsula, under the Malacca Sultanate. The island of Singapore was ceded to the British East India Company in 1819, and the city was founded the same year by Sir Thomas Raffles. The British took complete control in 1824 and added Singapore to the newly formed Straits Settlements in 1826. During World War II it was held by the Japanese (1942-1945) before being retaken by the British. Singapore became a crown colony in 1946, a self-governing state in 1959, part of the Federation of Malaysia in 1963, and a fully independent republic in 1965. The city of Singapore is the capital. Population: 4,550,000.
- n. An island city state in Southeast Asia located off the southernmost tip of the Malay Peninsula; a former British crown colony. Official name: Republic of Singapore.
- n. the capital of Singapore; one of the world's biggest ports
- n. an island to the south of the Malay Peninsula
- n. a country in southeastern Asia on the island of Singapore; achieved independence from Malaysia in 1965
- Via Malay singa ("lion") and pura ("city"), from Sanskrit सिंह (siṃhá, "lion") and पुर (pura, "city"). (Wiktionary)
“SINGAPORE - Uneasy about relying on water imported from Malaysia and determined to sustain its booming growth, Singapore devotes much effort to innovative water planning.”
“SINGAPORE mdash; Singapore released on bail Tuesday a British author arrested two days earlier as part of a criminal defamation investigation related to his book ...”
“SINGAPORE By Cris Prystay Whenever Sydney resident Priya Jaikumar flies to London, she always schedules a two-day stopover in Singapore to get her India fix.”
“Hong Kong Exchange Gains Favor SINGAPORE -- Shares of Singapore Exchange -- which operates the country's stock market -- have lost almost half their value in the past six months, far more than the broader Singapore market.”
“SINGAPORE: An Indian national, identified merely as "a male activist," has been denied entry into Singapore and deported on the ground that he "posed a potential security and public order threat to the annual meetings" of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank (WB) Group.”
“LEE HSIEN LOONG, SINGAPORE PRIME MINISTER: Singapore is very happy that America has a stake in the region and is growing the stake in the region.”
“JAMES BOYD, SINGAPORE AIRLINES: ... for the Americas, and we're here to give your some information on Singapore Flight No. 6, which this morning has an aborted takeoff.”
“SINGAPORE - Singapore said it was issuing health alert notices to all visitors arriving on direct flights from Africa continent as”
“MUGABE ARRIVES ON SINGAPORE VISIT resident Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe arrived in Singapore Tuesday for a two-day visit aimed at strengthening bilateral business ties, officials said.”
“SINGAPORE - Singapore is considering an offer by South Africa to use that country's military training and test centres, Defence”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Singapore’.
Looking for tweets for Singapore.