from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The long, high-pitched sound made by a horse.
- intransitive v. To utter the characteristic sound of a horse; whinny.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The cry of a horse.
- v. to make its cry
- v. to make a sound similar to a horses' cry
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To utter the cry of the horse; to whinny.
- intransitive v. To scoff or sneer; to jeer.
- n. The cry of a horse; a whinny.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To utter the cry of a horse; whinny.
- To scoff; sneer.
- n. The cry of a horse; a whinnying.
- An obsolete form of nigh.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make a characteristic sound, of a horse
- n. the characteristic sounds made by a horse
From Middle English neighen, to neigh, from Old English hnǣgan, probably of imitative origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
By (onomatopoeia) (Wiktionary)