from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sharp, high-pitched bark; a yelp.
- intransitive v. To emit a yip; yelp.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sharp, high-pitched bark.
- n. A self-fulfilling defeatist or fatalist mindset.
- v. To bark with a sharp, high-pitched voice.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sharp high-pitched cry (especially by a dog)
- v. bark in a high-pitched tone
Perhaps Middle English yippe, a cheeping sound, from yippen, to cheep, of imitative origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)