American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To complain peevishly or whimperingly; whine.
- v. To talk volubly and loudly.
- v. To utter or say in a complaining or clamorous tone.
- n. The act of yammering.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- v. intransitive To complain peevishly.
- v. intransitive To talk loudly and persistently.
- v. transitive To repeat on and on, usually loudly or in complaint.
- v. intransitive, rare To make an outcry; to clamor.
- n. The act or noise of yammering.
- n. A loud noise.
- n. One who yammers.
- v. cry loudly, as of animals
- v. complain whiningly
- Probably from Middle Dutch jammeren cognate and reinforced by Middle English yeoumeren ("to mourn, complain"), from Old English geomrian ("to lament"), from ġeōmor ("sorrowful") possibly imitative in origin and akin to German Jammer. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English yameren, to lament, probably from Middle Flemish jammeren, to be sorrowful. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The more McCain and what's-her-name yammer on about Bill Ayers and domestic terrorists or remind us that McCain was a POW, the more out of touch they appear.”
“I'd also blabber about how awful Castro is if I wanted to get elected in Miami and yammer incessantly about the fantasy of clean coal if I was running in WV.”
“Honest, listening to the former mayor yammer on about the president (always wrong) and the candidates for the Republican nomination (all great), it did feel like the next stop was Donald Trump and reality TV.”
“The politicians who want to overturn the law can yammer on about the Constitution, but what they can't do is explain how taking away important protections and benefits is good for actual people.”
“The funnest part will be listening to the GOPers yammer about how it's all because the Dems obstructed their grand plans (of which they really have none) that would have helped middle-class families (i.e., given corporate america a giant bj).”
“For Him: The Watch What Happens: Live host had good chemistry with Ripa during a guest-hosting gig, he knows all about working with sassy women and can cut through the yammer to make his point under pressure.”
“We're not perfect; we yammer with the best of them.”
“The coyotes behind my house yammer like gossiping schoolgirls.”
“A good first step is for women to ease up on the patriarchy yammer, especially when it comes to romance: Ideology has no place in the nation's bedrooms.”
“And as for old Ahuna, she could make him get down on the floor and yammer and bite himself when she pulled the real mystery dope on him.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘yammer’.
Words for Talking
( open list, randomness )
words that describe sound
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words that indicate meaningless, confusing or deceptive talk.
My Tag Cloud
just the next words that come along
Verbal 'wtf' exchanges; odd moments of conversation and socializing.
Looking for tweets for yammer.