from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- v. Chiefly British Variant of whir.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To move or vibrate (something) with a buzzing sound.
- v. To make a sibilant buzzing or droning sound.
- v. To cause (something) to make such a sound.
- n. A sibilant buzz or vibration; the sound of something in rapid motion.
- n. A bustle of noise and excitement.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make a vibrant sound, as of some birds
- v. make a soft swishing sound
- n. sound of something in rapid motion
Perhaps from Old Norse hvirfla ("to whirl, spread"). (Wiktionary)