from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of the soft membranous gaps between the incompletely formed cranial bones of a fetus or an infant. Also called soft spot.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of fontanelle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An issue or artificial ulcer for the discharge of humors from the body.
- n. One of the membranous intervals between the incompleted angles of the parietal and neighboring bones of a fetal or young skull; -- so called because it exhibits a rhythmical pulsation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any membranous gap between the bones of the cranium in an infant or fetus
Middle English fontinel, from Old French fontanele, diminutive of fontaine, fountain; see fountain.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)