from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Surgical incision of the chest wall.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The surgical procedure of making an incision into the chest, normally as a first step to gain access to the thoracic organs, such as the heart, the lungs, and the esophagus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The operation of opening the pleural cavity by incision.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In surgery, the operation of free incision through the thoracic walls. Compare thoracentesis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. surgical incision into the chest walls opening up the pleural cavity
Latin thōrāx, thōrāc-, thorax + -tomy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)