from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An operation in which a laparoscope is used, as in an examination of the liver or the surgical treatment of endometriosis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Examination of the loins or abdomen, now specifically examination or surgery on the peritoneal cavity using a laparoscope.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Laparotomy performed with a laparoscope.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Inspection of the abdomen.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. laparotomy performed with a laparoscope that makes a small incision to examine the abdominal cavity (especially the ovaries and Fallopian tubes)
Overall, the study found that a surgeon’s video-game skills, or lack thereof, explained 31 percent of the variance in laparoscopy performance.
We understand they are carrying out a laparoscopy, which is a procedure where they insert a tube into his body to remove any obstructions.
In many instances, a laparoscopy is an outpatient procedure that doctors can perform in their own office or clinic.
Saundra O'Connor after a laparoscopy was a "tremendous tragedy, foremost for the family" who had lost a mother, a wife,
In efforts to make donating a kidney safer, nephrologists are increasingly adopting new procedures such as laparoscopy, an alternative to open kidney surgery.
"I'm passionate about minimally invasive surgeries such as laparoscopy because patients do so well," says Dr. Lori Warren, a gynecological surgeon at Women First Obstetrics &
During an MIS procedure, such as laparoscopy, multiple small incisions are made in the abdominal wall for various devices (light, camera, surgical instruments), the most important of which is the camera, the "eyes" of the surgeon.
Working with Steptoe, who helped pioneer laparoscopy or "keyhole surgery", Edwards removed eggs from ovaries, put them in culture and then added sperm.
About 70% of appendices in the U.S. are removed by laparoscopy, but the procedure only recently became standard surgery in children.
I was sent for exploratory surgery, a laparoscopy that leaves three small incisions and which they use to look around inside.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.