from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Surgical incision into the abdominal wall, especially into the flank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The surgical procedure for making an incision in the abdominal wall to gain access into the abdominal cavity. Performed either as exploratory surgery, or as the first step in an abdominal operation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A cutting through the walls of the abdomen, as in the Cæsarean section.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In surgery, incision into the abdominal cavity; abdominal section.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. surgical incision into the abdominal wall; often done to examine abdominal organs
Open tubal ligation, also known as a laparotomy, is performed through
To Stone's way of thinking, McCray should have performed an operation called a laparotomy to locate and drain this abscess during Karsten's second hospitalization.
But since this approach requires a laparotomy, which is associated with longer hospitalization and increased blood loss, the postoperative road to recovery is often slow and painful as compared with less invasive approaches.
Laparoscopy versus open laparotomy for bowel resection in pediatric Crohn's disease
There are three medical clinics in Hallum Valley and one hospital capable of minor orthopedics, low-risk deliveries, appendectomies and a rare exploratory laparotomy if the weather is too bad to get to a city.
After a laparotomy, I conceived and carried 5 beautiful children to term.
We should be comparing the cost of a scan to that of a laparotomy.
For example, an exploratory laparotomy for bowel obstruction has departed from the script if we find a huge diaphragmatic hernia.
"If you don't like the laparotomy," Don told him at one point, referring to a line in the story, "you may choose some other operation ending in 'omy.'"
If it is necesary to remove the whole tube or to have emergency surgery, a laparotomy can be performed to repair or remove the ruptured tube.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.