from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Surgical incision into the abdominal wall, especially into the flank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The surgical procedure for making an incision in the abdominal wall to gain access into the abdominal cavity. Performed either as exploratory surgery, or as the first step in an abdominal operation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A cutting through the walls of the abdomen, as in the Cæsarean section.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In surgery, incision into the abdominal cavity; abdominal section.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. surgical incision into the abdominal wall; often done to examine abdominal organs
Greek laparā, flank; see laparoscope + -tomy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From laparo- + -tomy. (Wiktionary)