American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Surgical incision into the abdominal wall, especially into the flank.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In surgery, incision into the abdominal cavity; abdominal section.
- n. surgery The surgical procedure for making an incision in the abdominal wall to gain access into the abdominal cavity. Performed either as exploratory surgery, or as the first step in an abdominal operation.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Surg.) A cutting through the walls of the abdomen, as in the Cæsarean section.
- n. surgical incision into the abdominal wall; often done to examine abdominal organs
- From laparo- + -tomy. (Wiktionary)
- Greek laparā, flank; see laparoscope + -tomy. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Open tubal ligation, also known as a laparotomy, is performed through”
“To Stone's way of thinking, McCray should have performed an operation called a laparotomy to locate and drain this abscess during Karsten's second hospitalization.”
“But since this approach requires a laparotomy, which is associated with longer hospitalization and increased blood loss, the postoperative road to recovery is often slow and painful as compared with less invasive approaches.”
“Laparoscopy versus open laparotomy for bowel resection in pediatric Crohn's disease”
“There are three medical clinics in Hallum Valley and one hospital capable of minor orthopedics, low-risk deliveries, appendectomies and a rare exploratory laparotomy if the weather is too bad to get to a city.”
“After a laparotomy, I conceived and carried 5 beautiful children to term.”
“We should be comparing the cost of a scan to that of a laparotomy.”
“For example, an exploratory laparotomy for bowel obstruction has departed from the script if we find a huge diaphragmatic hernia.”
“If you don't like the laparotomy," Don told him at one point, referring to a line in the story, "you may choose some other operation ending in 'omy.”
“If it is necesary to remove the whole tube or to have emergency surgery, a laparotomy can be performed to repair or remove the ruptured tube.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘laparotomy’.
A list of terms and procedures encountered in the medical literature, beginning with enterectomy.
Many of these terms are archaic, or obsolete.
More medical terms can be found on...
Looking for tweets for laparotomy.