from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Study of spectra, especially experimental observation of optical spectra.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The scientific study of spectra.
- n. The use of spectrometers in chemical analysis.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the art and science dealing with the use of a spectroscope, and the production and analysis of spectra; the action of using a spectroscope.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That branch of science, more particularly of chemical and physical science, which is concerned with the use of the spectroscope and with spectrum analysis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the use of spectroscopes to analyze spectra
spectro- + -scopy (Wiktionary)