from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument for producing and observing spectra.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An optical instrument for forming and examining spectra (as that of solar light, or those produced by flames in which different substances are volatilized), so as to determine, from the position of the spectral lines, the composition of the substance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument used to produce a spectrum of the light (or, more generally, the radiation) from any source by the passage of the rays through a prism or their reflection from a grating, and for the study of the spectrum so formed.
- To use the spectroscope; study by means of observations with the spectroscope.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an optical instrument for spectrographic analysis
spectro- + -scope (Wiktionary)