from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument used to cut a specimen, as of organic tissue, into thin sections for microscopic examination.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A special instrument that produces very thin slices of plant and animal tissues, for later examination by light microscope or electron microscope.
- v. To cut into sections using a microtome
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for making very thin sections for microscopical examination.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument for making very fine sections or thin slices of objects for microscopic examination.
- To cut (a tissue or organ) into thin sections with the aid of a microtome.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. scientific instrument that cuts thin slices of something for microscopic examination
Could be construed as either micro + -tome or micro- + tome. (Wiktionary)