American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An instrument that registers or graphically records time intervals such as the duration of an event.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A chronogram.
- n. An instrument for recording the exact instant in which an event occurs. The most important instrument of this kind is the astronomical chronograph, the parts of which are: a train of clockwork, regulated, not by an ordinary escapement, but in such a way as to move with a continuous and equable motion, and carry forward a sheet or ribbon of paper; a pen which draws a continuous line upon the paper, and is so attached to the armature of an electromagnet that whenever the electric current is broken (or made) for an instant a jog is produced in the line drawn by the pen. The electromagnet is put into one circuit with a clock or chronograph which breaks (or makes) the circuit for an instant at every second, or other convenient interval, and also with an observing-key, which on being pressed (at the moment the observation is taken) produces the same effect. The result is that jogs appear upon the line drawn by the pen at every second, and also every time the key is touched; and the relative distances of these jogs, which can be accurately measured, give the time of the observation correct to a fiftieth of a second. The name chronograph is also applied to various kinds of watches so contrived that when a button is pressed the second-hand stops, or one of two second-hands stops, or the second-hand leaves a dot of ink upon the dial.
- n. An instrument for measuring a small interval of time. The simplest instrument of this description consists of a tuning-fork carrying at the end of one of its prongs a bit of quill, which scratches a wavy line upon a moving piece of blackened paper. At the beginning and at the end of the interval to be measured an induction-spark is made to pass through the paper close to the marking-point. Two little dots are thus made, and the number of waves and fractions of a wave between them gives the interval of time expressed in terms of the period of vibration of the fork as a unit.
- n. obsolete A chronogram.
- n. A device which marks or records time or time intervals
- n. A combination of watch and stopwatch
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An instrument for measuring or recording intervals of time, upon a revolving drum or strip of paper moved by clockwork. The action of the stylus or pen is controlled by electricity.
- n. rare Same as Chronogram, 1.
- n. A chronoscope.
- n. an accurate timer for recording time
- From Ancient Greek χρονογράφος (khronographos, "chronicler"). (Wiktionary)
“Velocity may be a disappointment occasionally but the value of a chronograph is the ability to measure the variation from load to load.”
“(don't confuse the term chronograph with lots of dials) and I gain 2 seconds a day.”
“I, too, believe my Chrony chronograph is giving me honest data.”
“Inside is an ETA 2826 automatic for the 1,000-meter version and a high-end Valjoux 7750 for the chronograph, which is the same movement you'll find in the”
“Functions provide the time, date, and 12 hour chronograph, which is well integrated here with a tri-compax subdial array.”
“Japanese etc The Japanese replica uses 21 jewel automatic movement system Fake watches generally use more than 21 jewel system Also the hands are shortened by few millimeters in replica watches Almost all the replica watches are water resistant usually up to 30 feet; the rubber sealing used prevents the water from entering the main body and thus avoids damage to the watch Another distinguishing factor between a replica watch and a fake watch is the functioning of the chronograph which is just for looks purpose in fake watches whereas it functions properly in a replica watch Websites like nowreplica offer a wide range of genuine replica watches to suit one's taste The catalogue available on these websites is updated time and time again so that you get the replica models as soon as they become available Online shopping is of a such a great comfort, the pictures available on the websites are that of the replica watches present in the stock so all you need to do is take your pick, pay online which takes a maximum of two days to process your credit card transaction and if at all you come across any damage to your ordered item, you can exchange it for another one or get it repaired for free or even get your amount refunded The replica watches also come with warranty period, but generally this warranty is just for the 'mechanism only' Once you order a replica watch you need to wait for few days to get your delivery from anywhere around the globe At this great website for watches you'll learn about the style and design, functions and features and mechanical movements of watches in alain silberstein.”
“Clockwise from top left: IWC Portofino chronograph in stainless steel on crocodile strap $5,500 IWC.com; Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso $6,950 Jaeger-lecoultre.comc ; Montblanc Nicolas Rieussec chronograph anniversary edition in 18k white gold with sapphire crystals and alligator-skin strap $40,940 Montblanc.com .”
“Among its features: a solid stainless casing treated with a film of ionized ceramic and metal that creates a slick, impervious surface; quartz movement with a 12-hour chronograph function; date display; tachometer (it can measure speed over a known distance) and really bright luminous hands and numerals.”
“What I can vouch for, after wearing this last deer season in woods from Saskatchewan to New York, is that the chronograph works, the date display works, the tachometer works, and the thing keeps time as only a Swiss watch can.”
“His opinion is that utilizing Dave's method rather than a bench the kid would probably shoot the chronograph in just a few rounds.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chronograph’.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Favorite time-related words.
Looking for tweets for chronograph.