from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An optical instrument for the precise measurement of very small time intervals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an optical instrument used to measure very small time intervals with precision
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for measuring minute intervals of time; used in determining the velocity of projectiles, the duration of short-lived luminous phenomena, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument for measuring extremely short intervals of time. Specifically
- n. An instrument for measuring the velocity of projectiles.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an instrument for accurate measurements of small intervals of time
From Ancient Greek χρόνος (khronos, "time") + σκοπός (skopos, "watcher"). (Wiktionary)