Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy: The entrance or great transverse fissure of the liver: especially in the term vena portæ, the portal vein (which see, under portal). See cut under liver.
- n. The foramen of Monro; especially, the lateral orifice of the Y-shaped foramen which opens communication between each of the lateral ventricles of the brain and the third ventricle.
- n. anatomy The part of the liver or other organ where its vessels and nerves enter; the hilum.
- n. anatomy The foramen of Monro.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The part of the liver or other organ where its vessels and nerves enter; the hilus.
- n. The foramen of Monro.
- n. an aperture or hole that opens into a bodily cavity
- Latin porta ("a gate"). See port. (Wiktionary)
“I can't even go to the Renaissance Faire and call the porta-potties "privies.”
“It has what is called a porta santa, which we saw walled up, in front of the church, one side of the main entrance.”
“I could call a porta-john an open source poop consortium.”
“The execution of this work won the brothers such a reputation in their native place, that, when they returned to S.ena after the death of Giovanni, they were both appointed architects of the S.ate, so that in the year 1317 the north front of the Duomo was made under their direction, and in 1321 the building of the wall of the porta Romana, then known as the porta S. Martino, was begun from their plans in its present style, being finished in 1326.”
“It's a combination of 'porta' (behave) and 'te' (yourself) and requires the accent over the 'o' to indicate where the stress should appropriately fall in the pronunciation of the word.”
“The only legend WhichDoktorHunt is would be the one on the map, pointing out where the porta potties are located.”
“Another impressive thing, according to our friend Bernard is that for 5000 seats the concert organizers have calculated only 10 porta-potties!”
“Waiting patiently in line with the men, I notice a remarkable contrast: the modern porta-potties are lined up within an ancient stone alcove.”
“No word on whether the corporate folks at Sanity Restoration HQ, Comedy Central, will welcome marathoners to its porta-potties -- marathon organizers made it very clear they did not want Stewart and Colbert fans using theirs.”
“According to the Park Service, they're expecting 60,000 people (though, don't worry, the porta-pottie company says it's delivering enough loos for twice that crowd).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘porta’.
A list of words with definitions directing us to "see cut under" (or "see cut at") another definition (with hilarity occasionally ensuing).
Looking for tweets for porta.