from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A barricade or obstruction across a road set up to prevent the escape or passage, as of a fugitive or enemy troops.
- n. An obstruction in a road, as fallen rocks or trees.
- n. Something, such as a situation or condition, that prevents further progress toward an accomplishment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something that blocks or obstructs a road.
- n. An obstacle or impediment.
- v. To prevent, hinder.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any condition that makes it difficult to make progress or to achieve an objective
- n. a barrier set up by police to stop traffic on a street or road in order to catch a fugitive or inspect traffic etc.
From road + block. (Wiktionary)