American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A barricade or obstruction across a road set up to prevent the escape or passage, as of a fugitive or enemy troops.
- n. An obstruction in a road, as fallen rocks or trees.
- n. Something, such as a situation or condition, that prevents further progress toward an accomplishment.
- n. Something that blocks or obstructs a road.
- n. An obstacle or impediment.
- v. colloquial To prevent, hinder.
- n. any condition that makes it difficult to make progress or to achieve an objective
- n. a barrier set up by police to stop traffic on a street or road in order to catch a fugitive or inspect traffic etc.
- From road + block. (Wiktionary)
“Funnel enough money to Amtrak to repair the out-of-service cars (the main roadblock to increasing service right now).”
“Perhaps a more legitimate roadblock is doubt about the effectiveness of the flu vaccine.”
“One potential roadblock is the amount of equity required to complete a deal, estimated at up to $4 billion, said the people familiar with the matter.”
“But the real roadblock is in Brussels, where the European Parliament has unilaterally demanded that the administration renegotiate the E.U. - U.S. agreement on travel reservation data -- launching the fourth set of talks on this topic in seven years.”
“Another roadblock is that most of the incentives for clean energy development are structured as tax-credits, so most potential community organizations (including non-profits like churches and schools, Native American tribes, etc.) can't take advantage of them.”
“One major roadblock is Orascom's Algerian unit, Djezzy, which the Algerian government has prevented from being sold in the past.”
“One roadblock is hit after Jackson waxes nostalgic about famous friends.”
“Sometimes the way past a roadblock is not over it or through it, but to take a different route around it.”
“Republicans will be judged by the history as the main roadblock that stood before heath care reform until the very last moment. annie s”
“The decision is a long-term roadblock that indicates "less of a bright future for corn-based ethanol," said Michael Swanson, agricultural economist with Wells Fargo.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘roadblock’.
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
An extensive list I have been working on for quite some time. Feel free to add more of the kind if you miss any.
"I and I plant the corn..."
DISTRACT, STARE, CONSUME
Interesting words that came to me in spam emails in the "From" field. Read in pairs by order added, add the initial of your choice, and you'll get a list of "names."
Looking for tweets for roadblock.