from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person or thing to which a linguistic expression refers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The specific entity in the world that a word or phrase identifies or denotes.
- n. That which is referenced.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Referring; containing a reference; noting one of two terms which have a certain relation to each other. The referent is the term from which the relation proceeds.
- n. One who is referred to; a referee.
- n. A word which refers to another.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having reference
- n. something that refers; a term that refers to another term
- n. something referred to; the object of a reference
- n. the first term in a proposition; the term to which other terms relate
refer + -ent (Wiktionary)